PATCHOGUE ARTS COUNCIL
Call for Muralist – Arts on Terry
June 27 – September 3, 2017
The Patchogue Arts Council, in collaboration with the Patchogue-Medford Library, is pleased to announce it is accepting submissions from muralists to exhibit a temporary mural on the rear of the Patchogue-Medford Library. The mural will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Summer of Love.
The mural will be located in a highly visible location on the rear of the Patchogue-Medford Library and will serve as the backdrop for the Patchogue Arts Council’s Arts on Terry festival, a one-day street fair taking place on Sunday, June 4, from 12:00 – 6:00 PM on Terry Street in Patchogue Village. The mural will remain on display throughout the summer of 2017. The mural will be approximately 15 x 45 feet and should be executed in spray paint. Prior experience creating a mural is required. A stipend of $2,000 will be awarded to assist in the planning, design, and execution of the mural. The mural should include one or more of the following themes: Summer of Love, Psychedelia, and/or Flower Power.
Requirements & Restrictions
- Preference will be given to artists from Long Island and the New York Metropolitan area
- Submissions should respond to one or more of the following themes:
- Summer of Love
- Flower Power
- Prior experience involving the implementation of a mural is required.
- Collaborations are permitted, but only one stipend will be awarded for the completion of the mural.
- The mural must survive unpredictable weather for three months.
- Only digital submissions sent by end of day April 8, 2017 will be considered
- Submissions should include design plans, materials list, a detailed budget, preparatory drawings, notes, mock-ups, and other materials necessary to complete your mural.
- Email submissions are due ON April 8, 2017.
- Submissions received AFTER April 8, 2017 will not be considered.
- Accepted artists will be notified through email no later than April 24, 2017.
- Subject line must include: AOT2017_Mural_YourName.
- Email your submissions to: email@example.com.
- Only submissions to this email address will be considered.
Email Submission Guidelines
- Please submit design plans, materials list, a detailed budget, preparatory drawings, notes, mock-ups, and other materials necessary to complete your mural design.
- All files should be labeled with your name and title of work. Ex: Yourname_titleofwork.jpg
- All artists must include one of the following: CV/resume, bio, or an artist statement.
- Artists must also include evidence of previous mural experience.
- Submissions that do not follow ALL of the above guidelines will not be considered.
- April 8: Submission Deadline – Submissions must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by this date.
- April 24: Artist Notifications – The awarded muralist will be notified via EMAIL by a Patchogue Arts Council representative.
- May 8 – 27: Temporary Mural Installation – Artist will be expected to install the mural between these dates.
- May 28 – September 3: Exhibition Dates – On June 4 the Arts on Terry street fair will take place in the area around Artspace. The mural will be on view from Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day weekend.
ABOUT THE PATCHOGUE ARTS COUNCIL – The Patchogue Arts Council, Inc., was formed to encourage, support, and promote the arts while aiding in the revitalization and sustainability of the community. The Patchogue Arts Council, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation whose focus is to serve the greater south shore of the Town of Brookhaven. The Patchogue Arts Council is located at 20 Terry St., Suite 116, Patchogue NY and is open Thursdays and Fridays, 2:00 – 7:30 PM and Saturdays and Sundays, 1:00 – 5:00 PM. For more information visit www.patchoguearts.org, call 631-627-8686, or email email@example.com.