PATCHOGUE ARTS COUNCIL
2018 Paint the Great South Bay
Plein Air Event, Exhibit, and Wet Paint Sale
Paint the Great South Bay 2018
Plein Air Event, Exhibit, and Wet Paint Sale
The Patchogue Arts Council (PAC) is pleased to announce Paint the Great South Bay 2018 Plein Air Event, Exhibit, and Wet Paint Sale. The Patchogue Arts Council invites artists to paint en plein air along the Great South Bay, ranging from Smith Point Beach to The Fire Island Lighthouse. Proceeds from this event help the Patchogue Arts Council continue to create events and programs that encourage, promote, and support the arts on Long Island.
This year PAC welcomes Eileen Palmer as guest juror for the Paint the Great South Bay 2018 Exhibit and wet paint sale at the Patchogue Arts Gallery. Eileen Palmer’s curatorial experience includes work with Islip Art Museum, Bayard Cutting Arboretum, and Bay Area Friends of Fine Arts Gallery. She has also developed Alzheimer’s programs at the Brooklyn Museum and Long Island Museum. She has worked with Creative Time on both Nick Cave’s Heard NY in Grand Central Terminal, and Kara Walker’s Subtlety at the Domino Sugar Factory in Brooklyn. Palmer’s work has been included many times in the Suffolk Center on the Holocaust, Diversity and Human Understanding, Embracing Our Difference programs, and she has collaborated on numerous public murals in South Philadelphia. Mrs. Palmer has received awards from a US Congressperson, NY State Senator, and local Mayors for her contributions to community arts.
Important Event Dates:
Saturday, August 18 through Sunday, August 26, 2018 RAIN OR SHINE
• August 18 through Sunday, August 26, 2018: Artists at work and painting the GSB
• August 17 – 19: Canvas Stamping at the Patchogue Arts Council Gallery located at 20 Terry Street, Suite 116. August 17 from 5:00 – 7:00 PM, August 18 from 9:00 – 11:00 AM, and 1:00 – 5:00 PM and August 19 from 1:00 – 5:00 PM Artists must have all supports and canvases stamped prior to painting.
• August 18 from 5:00 – 9:00 PM: The Patchogue Arts Council Sketch Club will host a group nocturnal plein air location for those artists who would like to paint with the group participating in the event. Location will be announced later.
• August 20 Quick draw event @ Patchogue Theatre for the Performing Arts at 5:30PM
• August 22 Painting on the Beach organized by Gina Lento
• August 24 Nocturnal painting and roof top picnic at New Village at 5:30PM
• August 25 from 7:00 – 9:00 PM: Registered artists are invited to bring their framed and ready to hang work to the Patchogue Arts Gallery located at 20 Terry Street, Suite 116.
• August 26 from 1:00 – 5:00 PM: Exhibition, reception and wet paint sale to celebrate the end of the PGSB plein air event.
The Great South Bay on the South Shore of Long Island, which includes the towns/villages/ areas of Bellport, East Patchogue, Patchogue, Blue Point and Bayport, Sayville and West Sayville, NY, essentially the areas south of Sunrise Highway.
Plein Air Artists must agree to the following rules for the Plein Air event:
Event will be limited to 40 plein air artists in the 18+ category and is on a first come first serve basis. This year we are happy to announce a special Young Artist category for artists 17 and under. There is no fee for the young artist category and the same rules apply.
- To be eligible to participate in the exhibit and wet paint sale, art must be done from Saturday, August 18 through Saturday, August 25, 2018
- No work done with photo references will be permitted
- All art must be completed en plein air during the outing.
- All artists must register prior to the weekend event
- All canvas/paper, etc, needs to be stamped BEFORE painting to be eligible to be displayed in the exhibition and wet paint sale on Sunday, August 26, 2018
- Completed work no larger than 24×24 inches
- Attend the reception on Sunday, August 26 from 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
- All painting mediums will be accepted for exhibit and sale
- Paintings must be properly framed and wire mounted, (gallery wraps accepted, although the painting MUST be wired correctly) with no hooks or brackets, and brought to the Patchogue Arts Gallery on Saturday, August 25 from 7:00 – 9:00 PM.
- Canvases/paper or other supports used that haven’t been stamped will not be permitted to enter the show.
- All paintings being entered into the show will be checked for the plein air stamp.
- Labels and other paperwork will be included in your artist registration packet
- All art must be completed during the plein air outing and done on location on the South Shore. A Facebook group has been set up for artists to post their locations so that spectators will know where the artists are painting. Hashtags and Instagram will be set up and artists are encouraged to post their progress.
- ARTISTS MUST AGREE THAT ALL ART PAINTED DURING THE EVENT WILL BE SUBJECT TO THE 30% commission. If you are painting at a location and are approached by someone interested in purchasing the painting you are working on, that painting is under the contract of the event, and the 30% commission must be paid to PAC. Failure to pay the commission to PAC will result in the artist being ejected from the event, and any participation fees will be forfeited by the artist. NO EXCEPTIONS. This event is based on the honor system and is relying on the INTEGRITY of the artists participating in this event.
- Artists are encouraged to submit 2 pieces.
- Allow images of work entered into the sale to be used by the Patchogue Arts Council for publicity purposes
- Artists are responsible for making arrangements to have their paintings picked up on Sunday, August 26 at 5:00 PM. The Patchogue Arts Gallery will not store paintings, so please make arrangements to have your unsold work picked up. PAC and the PAC Arts Gallery will not be responsible for work not picked up by Sunday, August 26 at 5:00 PM
- PAC and the Patchogue Arts Gallery will not be responsible for any personal injury or property loss or damage regardless of the cause during this event.
- To be eligible to participate in the exhibit and wet paint sale, art must be done from Saturday, August 18 through Saturday, August 25, 2018 each work entered in any of the PGSB events/ activities must have a photo of the artist with their painting at the location/subject of the work. These images should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org as they are taken so PAC can also use them for social media and press to build the event!
Patchogue Arts Council Members: $10.00 Non-members: $25.00
*Artist may become a member at time of registration.
• August 10, 2018 Registration by this date can be done by completing the attached form and mail to
Patchogue Arts Gallery 20 Terry Street, Suite 116 Patchogue, NY 11772
* Only artists who complete registration by this date will be included in promotional materials.
• All applications must be accompanied by the non-refundable registration fee. Please make checks out to the Patchogue Arts Council and write PGSB in the memo section.
• Registration will remain open until all 40 spots are filled.
• Participating artists must agree to the terms and conditions of the Paint the Great South Bay Plein Air Event, Exhibit, and Wet Paint Sale.
• Once 40 artists have registered, a waiting list of artists will be created for additional artists interested in participating. Fees will not be held for those on the waiting list, and cash payment will be due on Saturday, August 18, 2018 for those on the waiting list.
Please contact info@PatchogueArts.org for any questions or concerns Information for Spectators, Patrons of Wet Paint Show & Sale
The Wet Paint Plein Air exhibit, sale and reception will take place August 26 from 1 – 5PM:
Patchogue Arts Gallery, 20 Terry Street, Suite 116, Patchogue This event is open to the public
ABOUT THE PATCHOGUE ARTS COUNCIL – The Patchogue Arts Council, Inc., was formed to encourage, support, and promote the arts while aiding in the revitalization and sustainability of the community. The Patchogue Arts Council, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose focus is to serve the greater south shore of the Town of Brookhaven. The Patchogue Arts Council is located at 20 Terry St., Suite 116, Patchogue NY and is open Thursdays and Fridays, 2:00 – 7:30 PM, Saturdays and Sundays, 1:00 – 5:00 PM. For more information visit www.patchoguearts.org, call 631-627-8686, or email email@example.com.
You may download the full prospectus here: