*Special Sponsor Blick Art Materials
The Patchogue Arts Council (PAC) is pleased to announce Paint the Great South Bay 2019 Plein Air Event, Exhibit, and Wet Paint Sale. The Patchogue Arts Council invites artists to paint en plein air along the Great South Bay, ranging from Smith Point Beach to The Fire Island Lighthouse
Proceeds from this event help the Patchogue Arts Council continue to create events and programming that encourage, promote, and support the arts on Long Island.
This year PAC is excited to announce that BLICK ART MATERIALS as a special sponsor of PGSB 2019. They will be providing a special goody bag to each registered participant and prizes!
Important Event Dates:
• Sat., Aug. 17 through Sat., Aug. 24, 2019
• Artists paint RAIN OR SHINE
• Aug. 17 – Sat., Aug. 24, 2019: Artists at work and painting the GSB
• Aug. 17 – 18: Canvas Stamping at MoCA L.I. ( formerly Patchogue Arts Council Gallery) located at 20 Terry Street, Suite 116. Aug. 17 from 9:00 – 11:00 AM, and 1:00 – 5:00 PM and Aug.18 from 1:00 – 5:00 PM
• Artists must have all supports and canvases stamped prior to painting.
• Aug. 24 from 7:00 – 9:00 PM: Registered artists are invited to bring their framed and ready to hang work to the Patchogue Arts Gallery located at 20 Terry Street, Suite 116.
• Aug. 25 – Sept. 1: Exhibition, reception and wet paint sale to celebrate the end of the PGSB
• Aug. 25 from 1:00 – 5:00 PM: Reception and opening day of show.
SCHEDULE FOR STAMPING
MOCA L.I. @ 20 Terry Street, Suite 16 : August 17 from 9:00 – 11:00 AM and 1:00 – 5:00 PM & August 18 from 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Artists painting: August 17 through August 24, 2019
SPECIAL EVENTS FOR REGISTERED ARTISTS
SATURDAY, AUGUST 17 from 5:00 – 9:00 PM | Nocturnal Painting Event to Launch PGSB 2019: Terry Street Garden (Terry Street & S. Ocean Ave.) | No sign up needed – just attend.
TUESDAY, AUGUST 20 @ 10:00 AM | Painting with PALS: Location TBA
TUESDAY, AUGUST 20 @ 5:30 PM | Nocturnal Painting and Rooftop Picnic at Village Walk: 131 East Main Street, Patchogue | Max of 25 participants – must sign up at registration.
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 21 @ 5:00 PM – SUNSET | The Patchogue Arts Council Sketch Club Meet Up & Model on the beach Location: Robert Moses State Park Field 5 Park closest spot in Field 5 to Lighthouse path, artists can paint the FI Lighthouse or on the beach. No fees collected after 4
SATURDAY, AUGUST 24 @ 8:00 AM – 1:00 PM | QUICK DRAW EVENT AT THE PATCHOGUE THEATRE FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS: Top three viewer’s choice winners each receive a pair of tickets to a show at the PTPA.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 24 from 7:00 – 9:00 PM | Registered Artists work drop off for sale and exhibition
SUNDAY, AUGUST 25 – SEPTEMBER 1, 2019 |
The Great South Bay on the South Shore of Long Island, which includes the towns/villages/areas of Bellport, East Patchogue, Patchogue, Blue Point and Bayport, Sayville and West Sayville, NY, essentially the areas south of Sunrise Highway.
Plein Air Artists must agree to the following rules for the Plein Air event:
The event will be limited to 40 plein air artists in the 18+ category and is on a first come first serve basis. This year we are happy to announce a special Young Artist category for artists 17 and under. There is no fee for the young artist category and the same rules apply.
• To be eligible to participate in the exhibit and wet paint sale, the painting must be done between Sat., Aug. 17 through Sat., Aug. 24, 2019
• No work done with photo references will be permitted.
• All art must be completed en plein air during the outing.
• All artists must register prior to the weekend event.
• All canvas/paper, etc, need to be stamped BEFORE painting to be eligible to be displayed in the exhibition and wet paint sale starting Sun., Aug. 25, 2019.
• Completed work no larger than 24×24 inches
• Attend the reception on Sun., Aug. 25 from 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
• All painting mediums will be accepted for exhibit and sales
• Paintings must be properly framed and wire mounted, (gallery wraps accepted, although the painting MUST be wired correctly) with no hooks or brackets, and brought to the Patchogue Arts Gallery on Sat., Aug. 24 from 7:00 – 9:00 PM.
• Canvas/paper or other supports used that hasn’t been stamped will not be permitted to enter into the show.
• All paintings entered into the show will be checked for the plein air stamp.
• Labels and other paperwork will be included in your artist registration packet
• All art must be completed during the plein air outing and done on location on the South Shore. A Facebook group has been set up for artists to post their locations so that spectators will know where the artists are painting. Hashtags and
Instagram will be set up and artists are encouraged to post their progress.
• ARTISTS MUST AGREE THAT ALL ART PAINTED DURING THE EVENT WILL BE SUBJECT TO 30% commission. If you are painting at a location and are approached by someone interested in purchasing the painting you are working on, that painting is under the contract of the event, and the 30% commission must be paid to PAC. Failure to pay the commission to PAC will result in the artist being eliminated from the event, and any participation fees will be forfeited by the artist. NO EXCEPTIONS. This event is based on the honor system and relies on the INTEGRITY of the participating artists.
• Artists are encouraged to submit 2 pieces.
• Allow images of work entered into the sale to be used by the Patchogue Arts Council for publicity purposes
• Artists are responsible for making arrangements to have paintings picked up on Sun., Sept. 1, 5 PM – 6 PM.
The Patchogue Arts Gallery will not store paintings. PAC will not be responsible for work not picked up by Sun., Sept. 1, at 5:00 PM.
• PAC will not be responsible for any personal injury or property loss or damage regardless of the cause during this event.
Patchogue Arts Council Members: $10.00
*Artist may become a member at the time of registration.
Aug. 10, 2019 Registration by this date can be done by completing the attached form and mail to:
Patchogue Arts Council, 20 Terry Street, Suite 116, Patchogue, NY 11772
Only artists who complete registration by this date will be included in promotional materials.
• All applications must be accompanied by the non-refundable registration fee. Please make checks out to The Patchogue
Arts Council and write PGSB in the memo section.
• Registration will remain open until all 40 spots are filled.
• Participating artists must agree to the terms and conditions of the Paint the Great South Bay Plein Air Event, Exhibit, and
Wet Paint Sale.
• Once 40 artists have registered, a waiting list of artists will be created. Fees will not be held for those on the waiting list,
and CASH payment will be due on Sat., Aug. 17, 2019, for those on the waiting list.
Please contact info@PatchogueArts.org for any questions or concerns.
Information for Spectators, Patrons of Wet Paint Show & Sale
The Wet Paint Plein Air Exhibit and Sale will take place Aug. 25 – September 1, 2019 Reception, Aug. 25, from 1 – 5 PM:
MoCA L.I. Gallery, 20 Terry Street, Suite 116, Patchogue
This event is open to the public
ABOUT THE PATCHOGUE ARTS COUNCIL – The Patchogue Arts Council, Inc., was formed to encourage, support, and promote the arts while aiding in the revitalization and sustainability of the community. The Patchogue Arts Council, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation whose focus is to serve the greater south shore of the Town of Brookhaven. The Patchogue Arts Council is located at 20 Terry St., Suite 116, Patchogue NY and is open Thursdays and Fridays, 2:00 – 7:30 PM, Saturdays, and Sundays, 1:00 – 5:00 PM. For more information visit www.patchoguearts.org, call 631-627-8686,
or email email@example.com.
ABOUT MOCA L.I.
Museum of Contemporary Arts Long Island (MoCA L.I.), is the newly defined exhibition space of the Patchogue Arts Council (PAC).
By redefining PAC’s exhibition space from Gallery to Museum, opportunities for the community and the artists we serve grows exponentially. PAC has always been unconventional in comparison to other arts councils. Our main focuses are to make current and contemporary art accessible to everyone and service artists across Long Island. We are working to create inclusiveness in all of our opportunities for Long Island’s Spanish-speaking communities as well. Through our exhibition programming, we support, promote, and encourage early, mid-career, and established artists that work in all media and all walks of life.
The caliber of career-enriching opportunities that we provide Long Island-based artists is previously unheard of in Suffolk or Nassau County. We don’t charge artists to submit or participate. Instead, we give stipends that assist in the costs of creation and development of our exhibitions.